Saturday, May 13, 2006

Hand Feels Better

Hand is feeling better. Teachers test today, mothers day tomorrow. Rain all week is flooding the swamps around the house, neighbor is almost going to flood his basement and other neighbor is losing his back yard. Also my garden is dieing. Don't know why. Maybe it's karma.

Cat is pissed off that there haven't been any birds for him to watch or sunny spot to lie in all week.

Dave, is there an easy way for the Macintosh to convert AVI files to be played on my DVD player? My TV set's DVD player not the SuperDrive in the PowerBook. Preferably lossless.

Two week torrent DL of Max Headroom finally ended. Got season 1 and 2!!! Yes I broke the law but fuck em if they don't want to sell it to me legally. Copyright is meant to protect the authors ability to sell their craft not hoard away things they'd like to forget about. If they're not selling it then I haven't denied them revenue.

Copyright really should be 'use it or lose it'. It should not be extended out to 100 years after the authors death so their great great grandchildren can rake American culture over the coals for one more dollar. Or for a company embarrassed by their founders racism to hide items of considerable cultural signifigance and then stand there whistling with hands in pocket.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bry said...

One of the greatest things that I own is a crappy bootleg copy of racial cartoons from the 30's, 40's and 50's. They are an important and fascinating reflection of the history of race relations in the United States.

The fact that they are forgotten/ignored/hidden is a cultural tragedy. How can we learn from the past if we're not allowed to know about it?

May 12, 2006, 7:06:00 PM  
Blogger Dean ASC said...

Thoughts once recorded and shared become the property of all who carry them in their head. Information is not a commodity, it is how we drive humanity forward. Information can't be destroyed, it can only be forgotten. That doesn't mean it can't be rediscovered or liberated from those who seek to control us.

I thought 'Tokyo Jokio' was hilarious.

May 12, 2006, 7:13:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Hull said...

I've found Toast to work pretty well. There's a whole bunch of headach inducing free and shareware to do it too, but you asked for easy.

May 12, 2006, 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

I use Nero for that purpose, Dean.

Bry, I want a copy of those cartoons!

May 13, 2006, 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Bry said...

I can lend you a crappy VHS, but I recommend finding them on youtube.com.
Almost all the ones I have are already on there.

Search for:
banned cartoons
world war II cartoons
propoganda cartoons
offensive cartoons
racial cartoons

The quality on youtube is as good or better than what I've got and they have quite a variety of toons. Keep a close eye, there are some really fucked up things written on signs and things like that in most of them. My favorite is one is a truck that pulls up and has MURDER INC on the side. Underneath it says:
ALL MURDERS: $1.00
MIDGETS: HALF PRICE
JAPS: FREE

Seriously. All the world war II ones are my favorites...

Did you know Elmer Fudd was originally black? That's why he was too stupid to find the rabbit. His lips were as big as his head. He pulled a Michael Jackson in the 50's to make it a bit more acceptable.

May 13, 2006, 4:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download Web Counters

Thanks for stopping by.



Email me - dean.rules@yahoo.com