Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Bone Weary

OK, raise your hands. Who here remembers when I broke my leg in high school? It was the night that we saw “Fright Night” at the Warwick and then went to Old Burial Hill to look for zombies. Remember that? I fell off a 3 foot stone wall and broke my leg. Marty, you were there and for some reason I remember Panda being there which is odd since we went to a “horror” movie and Panda usually avoided such things.

Remember the weeks of my hobbling around on crutches? Remember the fiberglass cast that you couldn’t sign because it was rougher then sharkskin. Fucking thing was like Velcro.

I remember the fun nights with my new girlfriend, Kristen. I remember trying to make out with her at the lighthouse and she’d run just out of reach and make me chase her on my crutches. She had a sadistic streak but it was so gratifying to catch her. Then we’d go to my house and watch Miami Vice then listen to Echo and the Bunnymen. I remember Marty driving me home all the time in the Stanza. I remember the smell when the cast finally came off.

Now 22 years later, the same injury is haunting me like SciFi Network reruns of “Fright Night.” Terrible, horrible reruns cut with commercials every 12 minutes.

I’m in an air cast. I got X-rays this afternoon. I’m seeing an orthopedic surgeon. I’m getting old.

Clicky

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AG was most certainly not there.

AG has also never worn a cast or broken or sprained anything. Thus, she cannot relate too much.

Try to heal and feel better.

May 8, 2007, 11:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clicky not working.

May 9, 2007, 6:38:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I certainly remember that cast and not being able to write on it. I also can relate since I had one in 2nd grade (I know it was before you knew me). It was on my right wrist so I had to write left handed and it looked like chicken scratch.

May 9, 2007, 7:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suckage. Hope you get better. Chronic aches suck.

BTW - not to make you change all your labels, but "better THAN you", not "THEN" .. unless it's all part of the irony ;)

May 9, 2007, 9:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download Web Counters

Thanks for stopping by.



Email me - dean.rules@yahoo.com