Thursday, April 13, 2006

Why Are My Eyes Falling Out?

My wife is sick of hearing me bitch about my contact lenses. For close to two decades, I've been a happy user of the AOSept disinfectant system. For several months now no local merchant has been able to stock any CibaVision brand disinfectant solution. A couple weeks ago I ran out completely. Lisa and I searched far and wide for my favorite brand of, as we call it on the shopping list, "Eyeball Fluids". There was no luck or eyeball fluid to be found. I was forced to switch to Bausch & Lomb Renu, just in time to find out it causes eyeball fungus. Now Renu is disappearing from the shelves in rapid order. That's OK with me anyway, it does a crappy job of removing the most irritating gunk. I'll switch back to AOSept as soon as I can, the AOSept system of hydrogen peroxide and nickel or platinum alloy is the best way to deal with eyeball calcium and protein deposits.

Hydrogen peroxide eats up proteins with a vengeance, then it's rendered harmless to your eyes through the following reaction. 2 H2O2 + Pt -> 2 H2O + O2 + Pt It's diabolically simple and so damn effective. If you're ever bored and bleeding let some blood dry on a dish and then pour hydrogen peroxide on it. It's like a tiny version of those crappy vinegar and baking soda volcanoes everyone makes for the middle school science fair.

Lisa has taken it upon herself to contact the manufacturer of AOSept and find out where we can get some. It turns out they're sick of these calls but Lisa did get some back story on what happened. (Forgive the 'telephone game' quality to this post.) CibaVision voluntarily shut down after an inspection by the FDA found manufacturing irregularities. They pulled their product from the shelves and took a few weeks to fix the manufacturing problems. Shortly after the first shipment to their distributor they were hit with another round of just plain bad luck. A tornado in Kansas destroyed the distributors warehouse with the whole shipment inside. A note on their website simply says they are in the process of shipping more product as quickly as possible.

I can't shake the feeling that there's an Ayn Rand quality to this story. Sort of like when John Galt let the power grid fail so that people would realize just how fragile their world is. I take my contact lenses for granted but without solution I'm screwed. When the store shelves ran out of AOSept I switched to Renu only to find out that's not the safest bet either. Since I produce none of the products I consume a bump in the supply chain is really screwing me up. Today it's merely my preferred brand of 'Eyeball Fluids'. Tomorrow it could be food or Ritalin. I hear that the civilian market is having trouble stocking certain calibers of hunting cartridges and rifle sport enthusiasts are sharing my pain.

I know this is a post about my eyeball troubles and I promised a Barney movie the other day but I'm breaking that tradition starting now.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered getting a backup pair of glasses...?

Apr 13, 2006, 4:39:00 PM  
Blogger Dean ASC said...

Hate them but have one.

Apr 13, 2006, 4:52:00 PM  
Blogger American Interior Monologue said...

Ammo-Yeah, my cousin in Boxford hunts w/ two Brittany Spaniels; says that the price has also spiked due to "manufacturing shortage".

Apr 13, 2006, 9:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm investing in biodiesil and home brewing kits. So I can still drive drunk after the revolution

Apr 13, 2006, 10:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda needs to be finicky about her solution, too. We couldn't find the stuff recommended by the optometrist at any store. So, she stopped by their office this week and they said that stores were supposed to start carrying it again. Not sure why it went away.

Apr 14, 2006, 9:09:00 AM  
Blogger Dean ASC said...

Some of the Ford trucks can run E85 with no retooling. You could kill two birds with one anonymous stone. But then you'd have to drive a Ford. I wish my Tacoma could burn anything but tuning for exactly one fuel source is probably what makes my 3 liter so much more efficient then comparable Fords.

My survival plan is to become a science advisor/vassal to the local warlord. I'll probably do all right. I'm not stupid enough to try to catch a steel boomerang.

"Just walk away. I will give you safe passage in the wasteland ... Walk away and there will be an end to the horror..."

Apr 14, 2006, 11:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download Web Counters

Thanks for stopping by.



Email me - dean.rules@yahoo.com