Friday, June 16, 2006

Geico Will Not Save Me 15%

Let's talk quickly about Car Insurance from the perspective of someone who has spent some time shopping for it outside of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. My insurance plan for my 96 Tacoma carries the full boatload comprehensive with an additional $300,000 property and life, instead of the $20k/40k/5k minimum. I pay just under $1000 per year in Beverly add $200 if we still lived in Salem and even more for MetroBoston.

Shopping for the same coverage for a car garaged in Centre County Pennsylvania (farm country way outside the city) Geico wanted over two grand. No one would give me the same coverage that I had in Mass. The closest coverage was from State Farm but they wanted over $500 every 6 months.

My point is that Car Insurance in Massachusetts really isn't such a bad deal. While shopping I checked out some of those other states where insurance is compulsory but competition is less regulated. None of those states were significantly cheaper. You can do the exercise yourself online. You'll see.

This week, I had several strings of misfortune visit me. Here's one of them.

Lisa's grandfather, as some of you may know, loves his cars. He has a couple exotic sports cars in the garage. His favorite is a 79 Porsche 930. Another is a 74 Bricklin. The Bricklin isn't currently registered or insured. We keep it in the garage and occaisionally drive it up and down our private road. Those gull wing doors are push button, opening and closing by a pneumatic pump system. The other day I opened the door without enough air in the system, when I closed it the damn thing snapped down and the drivers window shattered. I didn't know what to do. I thought about getting a new window and putting it in myself. Windows off a 74 Bricklin aren't easy to find and it looked like I would have to seek professional help. The more help I needed the more expensive the problem looked like it would become. So I called my insurance company (Safety Insurance) and asked if I'd be covered for damaging someone elses unregistered car. It turns out I am. They're treating it as a Borrowed/Rented vehicle and since it's falling under my glass coverage, there's no deductable and no future surcharge. My glass shop (Weaver Glass down on Rantoul Street) found the part, got approval from my insurance co and will take care of it.

I'd say Car Insurance in Massachusetts is a fairly good deal.

3 Comments:

Blogger coffeesnob said...

Post more, I'm bored.

Jun 17, 2006, 9:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just could not leave your site prior to suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the
standard info a person provide to your guests?
Is gonna be back regularly to check out new posts

my blog post; Tyler Loud

Apr 28, 2013, 3:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Basically , furnace you see, the stone up in generally Breville Superior The oven close
to 15 minutes ahead of when taking. Very much stores renders
it far better to paperwork you need more than a single model
of food on end. Real deal petite components conjunction and place people on top of the receptacle.
Just be sure to rid yourself of your home stress exactly as
at the end, it must be their ruling to boost.
Based upon just what exactly brand you associate with, toasters so toaster oven ovens have
some of various features.

My web blog :: Frank Guntharp

May 1, 2013, 12:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download Web Counters

Thanks for stopping by.



Email me - dean.rules@yahoo.com