Saturday, July 22, 2006

My Dilemma

Not too long ago, or so it seems, I would have been one of those kids. The kind that sneaks out at night to go off into the woods to drink and smoke and goof off. Lately, several of the neighborhood kids, mid teens, have been walking up our cul-de-sac at all hours. They don't live on this street. They've been going into the woods accross the street, where the Coyote lives, and doing who knows what.

Today I took a walk into the path through the neighbors yard to see what was in there. They've constructed an elaborately bordered path through the woods and through the swamp to a half assed lean-to and a magnificent fire pit. They had benches and pots and pans. Someone even left several cans of Deep Woods Off, which by the time I got there was more then welcome. The site is pretty trash free, they've been burning their cans in the fire so I couldn't tell if they were beer or soda.

Knowing how hard it is for kids to get alcohol and the inverse ease at which they get pot it doesn't surprise me to think that they're doobin it up. The land belongs to a neighbor. The other day she saw them going into the woods and one of them said "Hi" politely and that his grandfather lives "over there", meaning Lisa's Grandfather, so he's her cousin Joseph.

I don't think the owners know about the elaborate opium den these kid have set up for themselves on his property. Like I said, I would have been one of those kids back in my day. I'm also related by marriage to one of them. I don't want to rat them out but sooner or later the police, who do patrol our street, will see them going into the woods. They'll wait 10 minutes for them to get comfortable and then charge in with "Command Presence". If they are into the Buddah and Hooch it will be a parole violation for Joseph, even if he's not smoking himself.

I know a few joints or beers in the summer aren't going to kill them. I think I turned out all right. I do have a nagging conscience though and it's telling me to put a stop to the bonfires before they hurt themselves. When did I become an adult?

Do I turn them in or let them have their teenaged fun?

4 Comments:

Blogger Dean ASC said...

It occurs to me that Lisa's cousin who lives 3 blocks up Hull Street hasn't been over to the house to visit his Grandfather once since Nana passed away, three years ago. But he can walk past the house when he's looking for a party. I know, a teenager isn't looking to hang out with their Grandparents but Nuno did give the kid a trust fund large enough to pay 4 years at Bennington. You'd think he'd swing by to say thank you to his generous Grandfather at least once, you know, while he's still alive. It is only three blocks. In the mean time, when Lisa was living here and I was in PA I'd drive 497 miles on Friday night. On Saturday we'd wash his cars (plaural), take him out to lunch and then I'd spend a little time with my wife before driving the 497 miles back on Sunday. This kid can't walk three blocks to say hello but he can drink in the woods accross the street. I'm not going to say anything but I kind of hope he does get arrested. Just so that there's a paper trail of his malfeasance and familial neglect. We expect probate to get ugly.

Jul 24, 2006, 9:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Aug 5, 2006, 10:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Aug 9, 2006, 9:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Aug 11, 2006, 5:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download Web Counters

Thanks for stopping by.



Email me - dean.rules@yahoo.com