Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Antacid

I didn't have a TV set from 1989 - 95. Well I didn't have a TV set like Meghan and Rachel don't have a TV. That is to say, I didn't have cable. I had a 13 inch with whatever the rabit ears could get. For some reason Fox 25 comes in strong but nothing else does. I had a VCR so I could watch movies. When I lived on my boat my TV was a Sega Game Gear with the TV tuner card. 3 inches of "In Color" action. Again, Fox 25 was pretty much all I could tune in. When I built an antenna to see if Swamp was going to be the next Columbine all I could tune in was Fox 25. X-files, The Simpsons, In Living Color, Married With Children & Get A Life. Each as entertaining as the last. Oh yeah and that show about a kid who lived in a ministorage who sometimes turned into a wherewolf. Hermans Head, everyone from Fright Night had a place on Fox. 90210 but for some reason I never got into Melrose Place. 21 Jump Street.

Admit it, TV during the early 90's wasn't that bad if all you could watch was Fox. I was vaguely aware of other networks. What was on other channels? Some show about a girl who was a robot but she thought she was a real little girl. It wasn't Punky Brewster. It was much worse. And some show about a retarded kid. I think it was called Life Goes On. I think the message was that if you're retarded you can do all sorts of crap that seemed rebellous 30 years earlier without the slightest hint of irony.

I'm just glad I never watched it. I did a lot of acid then. I don't think I could handle the flashbacks today.

You totally know I'm going to play this for my students just to see the look on their faces.

5 Comments:

Blogger RicketyFunk said...

The show with the robot girl was called "Small Wonder" and it was annoying as hell to watch on Saturdays.

I used to own a tv. I left it in LA. Didn't need it. Still don't.

Jan 24, 2007, 4:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fact that Rickety knew the name of the show and the date tells us one thing: HE WAITED ALL WEEK TO WATCH IT!!

Busted.

Jan 25, 2007, 2:43:00 PM  
Blogger RicketyFunk said...

Hey, I didn't have a clue about the other link, and it was a nice piece of music.

As for that show... It was Saturday and I didn't have many friends and I would watch tv the olde fashioned way (no cable).

I do distinctly remeber an episode where Vicki fixes their car and it gets this outrageous miles/gallon but once the tank hits empty, the thing blows up. It was also on around the same time as My secret Idenitity staring Jerry... McConn-something. The dude from Kangaroo Jack (awesome movie!!! Extra awesome please)

Jan 25, 2007, 4:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be Jerry O'Connell. He was also in "Stand By Me". He played the heavy set kid with glasses. Also, he was in the Sci-Fi show "Sliders", "Jerry Macguire", "Joe's APartment" and "Tom Cats" to name a few. He was going out with Rebecca Romijn(ex-Stamos).

Jan 26, 2007, 10:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New post, please!

Also, do you know of any full-time librarian positions in the schools on the northshore? I have a friend in Salem who is fully qualified and is looking.

Jan 27, 2007, 9:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download Web Counters

Thanks for stopping by.



Email me - dean.rules@yahoo.com