Friday, December 22, 2006

Sugar & Spice & Everything Nice

I have these 3 students, 14 year old girls who are at that age where they're too cool to be caught being a good student. So they chat when I'm trying to lecture. They groom and preen when they should be doing lab. They're just more interested in looking good for the boys then learning.

The class is made up of less academically successful students. I tried an alternate project that would lead to a poster presentation rather then a formal lab report. I had them design rockets that we test fired and then had them redesign the rocket to go higher. The poster would be an advertisment explaining why their new rocket was an improvement over the older models. We learned scientific method, engineering design, aeronautics and a whole lot of other stuff which a good poster would explain in much less detail then a lab report would have but at least they were all working on the project together. Part of the assignment was to decorate the rockets. Those three girls chose to work together. When we decorated their rockets they decided to make it a unicorn and they named it Charlie. They labored long and hard to color and paint and cut out little feet they glued to the end of their rockets tailfins. Aerodynamically wrong but the rocket was very cute.

I thought how fun these girls who were way to cool to be learning were still into unicorns and they kept telling me they were going to fly their rocket to 'Candy Mountain'. I was touched as an educator to see these young ladies still had a bit of the little girl in them. They hadn't yet lost touch with their inner child that just wanted a pony or a unicorn to take them off to fantasy land.

Then I saw this.

7 Comments:

Blogger coffeesnob said...

That was poor.

Dec 22, 2006, 6:09:00 PM  
Blogger Dean ASC said...

At least I'm trying to update with an interesting anecdote. I really hope that's a joke I don't get or the pneumonia has overwhelmed your senses.

Dec 22, 2006, 7:18:00 PM  
Blogger RicketyFunk said...

I thought that was just a really lame south park-esque short. Ugh. Not funny.

It did kinda remind me of the short-lived "Perfect Hair Forever" on [Adult Swim] which made less sense than that horse-horn thing.

It also smacked of high school girl "tee-hee-hee."

Dec 22, 2006, 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger Dean ASC said...

The cartoon in general isn't the point, the point is that for 14 year old girls to be all into charlie the unicorn and candy mountain and then have it turn out to be about stolen kidneys is pretty cynical.

Dec 23, 2006, 7:55:00 AM  
Blogger coffeesnob said...

I got the point, I was right there with you bein' bummed that they weren't cute and innocent after all - but I thought the animation was poor. (I'm cranky, ok?)
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Dec 23, 2006, 5:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really sad to see young people today missing their opportunities. I share your pain in stumbling across this material.

Dec 26, 2006, 10:26:00 AM  
Blogger RicketyFunk said...

All in all, yeah. It's like your students "sneeking" the shocker past the faculty at the pep rally. Now that's funny.

Dec 26, 2006, 3:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download Web Counters

Thanks for stopping by.



Email me - dean.rules@yahoo.com