Wednesday, August 29, 2007

What The Fuck Is Going On Around Here?

It's nice of you to ask. I know some of the links on my site are gaudy. I didn't mean to turn into Homer Simpson when he made the greatest website in the world.

Ohhhh look it's dancing Jesus.

I've been trying to stress test a very dubious connection out to teh internets.

Comcast whom I hate more then a certain Adorable Girlfriend hates... well pretty much every one she comes into contact with. I think I lost my train of thought.

Yeah dancing Jesus.

I am now the proud owner of a web domain in Spain.

deanrul.es resolves to me. Right now it's being hosted on my soon to be dead PowerBook Aluminum G4 12. It's connecting through a wireless router to Comcast where I can only have a dynamic IP address.

The router I use has been banned from automatically updating to places like no-ip and dyndns.org because they're spam tastic. Actually they're only spamtastic when connected to a windows machine. My Apache Server on a Macintosh is pretty much bullet proof. But still no automatic updates for my European TLD domain name server.

Frankly I admit I'm out of my league here and may have bitten off more then I can chew. There is a package called Updatedd that's supposed to work in the background to serve a dynamic ip address to your domain name registrar. Two things hinder me. The first is that the ip address that my macintosh sees is a bogus local area network address that my router uses to fool my Mac into thinking it's connected. The other hinderence, and it's probably the biggest problem I have is that I don't know dick about Linux.

I knew the Mac was a UNIX boxen but I never really gave it much thougth. Apple might not have written the underlying code for the daemon but they really prettied it up in the finder. Nice work. So I have the option of adding some of the builds for Linux into my /private/bin/etc/bash/log/httpd/wtf directory that are supposed to tell eurodns.com my ip should point to a new bunch of numbers. I just wish I knew where the little bastards were supposed to go.

And they say the Macintosh isn't a real computer because it's easy to use.

If anyone knows how to configure Apache on OSX to seamlessly and automatically update my dyndns info I would sure appreciate it if ya'll drop me a line.

Still in all, it beats the fuck out of having to screw around in the registry looking for cryptically named .dll files that share the same name but different creation dates and you don't know which one was over written by another program sharing the file. And Word needs the latest .dll but it lost functionality for running Excel so you have to leave the old one in but PowerPoint gets confused looking at both so I just say to hell with it.

So enjoy the cats for a little while longer. I pull the plug in a couple days. I'm already up to 4 gigs of traffic and I've only been online for 2 days. Biggest hit to my site has been me. Second biggest has been the Google robot. I added a tag to tell google to stay away. I know they're a bunch of fucktards. I think I'll block access from 66-249-66-227 at my router.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way out of my league, too.

Although I do know Leopard is going to have a feature where it detects every time your cable/ISP assigns you a new dynamic IP address, and lets all your other Macs know about it (to facilitate web/iTunes/document sharing and VNC, which all get screwed with dynamic IP). It may be something that someone can hack into a utility you could find useful. But it might be too long a wait.

Aug 30, 2007, 9:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did Apache a long time ago and never on OSX.

Now, if you want to talk "diptard", let's talk about Microsoft's 64-bit OSes. (Vista64 or XP64) Because Microsoft are lazy, they didn't want to change stuff, and they didn't (apparently) use a variable, the system directory on 64-bit is still "system32".

BUT but but but .. if you want to install 32-bit DLLs on 64-bit, they go into a different directory named ... (drum roll please) .. "SysWoW64".

Yes, that's right - the 32-bit dlls go into a directory with "64" in the name and the 64-bit dlls go into a directory with "32" in the name.

The fucktards.

p.s. - "WoW" stands for "Windows on Windows". I just love hot & nasty Windows on Windows.

Aug 30, 2007, 9:15:00 AM  
Blogger Dean ASC said...

Yeah, the little PB isn't going to upgrade to anything more then a file server when I get a new laptop. I don't think I'll be adding any more cats to the household.

I know such a thing in unix should be trivial but I don't really know unix. I'm like the roady at a show. I know enough about the guitar to change a string but don't have a clue what the truss rod tension should be.

Maybe there are roadies out there who know but I got my job because the sound man is my uncle.

I'm going to go to Guitar Center and pretend to buy the Gibson with the f holes hanging behind plexiglass and then backout because I think it sounds flat.

Aug 30, 2007, 9:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul - The Wow starts now.

Of course, I bet it's actually some World of Warcraft fan in charge of naming sys directories. Maybe you can force the 32-bit DLLs into the first directory by using a Plus 12 Elf Charm or something.

(I drip with contempt for sword & sorcery cliches while addressing a man who enjoys reading and writing much of that genre, on the blog of a man who I am trying to convince to watch the Lord of the Rings movies against his perceived judgement of dealing with those same cliches. So I'm not making a lot of friends here.)

The new season 10 South Park DVD has the "fat WoW player" characters on the outer box, and a nice big picture of their game alter-egos when you slide out the inner. They already did this with the "anime" versions from a box or two back, but I still LOL when I opened it.

Aug 30, 2007, 2:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

world of warcraft is for pusseys...

Sep 11, 2007, 8:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download Web Counters

Thanks for stopping by.



Email me - dean.rules@yahoo.com