Tuesday, August 14, 2007

How Much Is That Gonna Cost Me?

Van Halen, Devo, Big Audio Dynamite (because it's too late to see The Clash) and The Replacements. Those are the bands I haven't seen live that I'm willing to go anywhere for any price to see.

Van Halen just announced a tour with Dave and Eddy and some other guys. Actually it's with Eddy's son Wolfgang in place of Michael Anthony. I'm sure Wolfgang is technically competant but I've seen Michael Anthony live (I did see Van Hagar Live Without A Net.) I doubt Wolfie is going to drink a fith of Jack Daniels during a 10 minute Bass solo.

I just took The Police off the above list and the show was great. A little slice of disappointment though, The English Beat/General Public are one slot out of that list and they played in Boston the night of The Police show. And I missed 'Every Little Thing' because my leg was killing me and I had to walk around under the grandstand to avoid blood clots from standing.

I've probably upset Tom by suggesting Big Audio Dynamite is in some way a suitable substitution for Joe Strummer.

I haven't seen REM live but for some reason, as much as I love them, I'm not interested. I missed my chance to see them play at the Salem Theater in 1983 for $5. I had just moved to Marblehead and didn't really know anyone. I tried to talk the two kids I did know into going but they didn't want to pay $5 for someone they never heard of. I knew who they were because my Dad had MTV at his house (Marblehead didn't have cable tv yet.) I saw the video for 'Radio Free Europe' and knew that REOSTYXTOTOFOREIGNEREAGLESLEDZEPPLENBOSTON were done for and what we would eventually call "College Radio" was The Cutting Edge.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Adorable Girlfriend said...

You are no REM fan. None. $5!?!

AG has seen them. Jumped the fence and moved down in front at Hershey Park in 1995.

AG is a fan.

Nothing else is on AG's list. U2 sold out and Tiffany is no longer touring with Debbie Gibson. Such haters.

Aug 14, 2007, 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger Dean ASC said...

I like rem but I know I couldn't see them without thinking that the show I missed out on was better.

Aug 14, 2007, 12:41:00 PM  
Blogger RicketyFunk said...

I passed on REM in Missoula back in 2002 or something like that. I agree with D on this one. That $5 show would have been the one to see. I couldn't justify spending the meager price for the show after being subjected to Monster in the mid-90's. That album just didn't sit well with me and ever since then, I've not really been that interested in REM.

And you should change your name to "Tropical Storm" Dean. That would be funny.

Aug 14, 2007, 2:20:00 PM  
Blogger Dean ASC said...

It's just not Rem. There are a lot of shows that I wish I had seen and missed out. I eventually got to see some of the bands but not the way I would have preferred.

I remember U2 in 1987. Every kid in high school had tickets when they came through in the springtime. I didn't and was therefore entirely uncool. They came back in September and I saw them then but I had graduated and didn't have anyone I could make jealous. And the show sucked. After hearing how fucking awesome it would be for a month before and how really fucking awesome it was for a month after, nothing short of Hendrix and Morrison coming out of the grave and killing The Edge and Bono then eating their brains would have made me happy.

Now that's a show I want to see.

Aug 14, 2007, 6:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download Web Counters

Thanks for stopping by.



Email me - dean.rules@yahoo.com