Sunday, August 19, 2007

Binary Solo 10001000011100101010001010001

Weekend of computer issues. Largely self inflicted. Been trying to sync a Sony camera to my Macintosh. No firewire, just USB and it's a Sony so no Macintosh support. VirtualPC works and I can drag the mpeg-2 files to my Mac desktop but I want a more elegant solution. I tried installing WinXP on Lisa's Mac but had issues with BootCamp recognizing the windows install disk. No it wasn't an OEM disk. I know better then that. It was an XP disk that I thought was a full install of the home edition but it wasn't having it.

AT&T amuses the shit out of me. Only carrier to work with the iPhone, which as far as i know is an Apple product, will not sell me DSL service because i use a Macintosh. Looks like i'm stuck with Comcast a while longer.

My 12 inch powerbook is fading on me. It makes me sad. The fluorescent tube grows dimmer every day. I'm just hoping that it survives until the start of the next school year (two weeks.) Then I'm elligable for another MacBook on my teachers discount. What I really want is another submicro notebook like my little aluminum PB G4. The 15in is more than I want to carry around.

Although, the good news is that the new MB will come with iLife which rumor has it has a version of iMovie that now supports DVD cameras through USB. According to this cryptic message from the Apple site my camera will work with the software.

It might just be worth the $300 premium over what I would spend trying to fix my screen, install Leopard and get iLife'08 for Lisa's computer because it still won't work on my G4.

By the way Darren, what I meant to say is 3mm jack not 3/4 inch. It's the little 8th inch jack like on a Walkman. The line out on the iPhone dock will work with a standard mini headphone plug and doesn't need to be connected to the power cable to feed music to regular headphones or in my case a Walkman to RCA addapter into my TV. I'd still like to know if you tried docking it in your iPod speakers.

I know, I'm using my TV to listen to music. I don't have a bitchen stereo with tube preamp and powerline smoother. iSuck.

Does anyone remember the phrase "Don't touch my Dads NADs!"

Got to get ready for school!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teacher Teacher,
We have DSL with our Mac - through Earthlink. (OK via AT&T wires and such, but it's been working since we moved into our condo.)
Is that helpful info, or just annoying?

Aug 20, 2007, 9:28:00 AM  
Blogger Dean ASC said...

It's not that I want DSL it's the attitude that ATT takes. I'm sure that any TCP/IP compliant computer will connect just fine on a technical level. It's the customer service issues that come up down the road. ATT doesn't want to write a script for their Indians in customer service for Mac users because Mac users see through that kind of BS. Windows user waits on hold for someone in Bangalore to ask them how the weather in Texas is while he reboots his computer again. A Mac user starts the conversation with I did this, this and this so skip a head in the script please.

BTW for those who don't know. It was Dylan's Dad who wouldn't let anyone touch his insanely expensive in 1980's dollars stereo component system, all top of the line NAD boxen. Don't touch my dad's nads was common when Dylan lived upstairs. After the move to the basement less so. Funny thing was it was the only rule Dylan ever followed. So it really must have pissed his dad off at one point.

Aug 20, 2007, 11:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. I see -- so the iPhone dock frees you from the stupid recessed headphone jack on the iPhone itself. (My only complaint about them.) Well, that works. There are adapters coming out to make the iPhone jack compatible with all headphones; the only one out now is the Belkin, and it looks like shit, so I'm waiting for the others to actually ship.

2. 15 inches for the MacBook Pro -- if you can stand the glossy screen, the MacBooks are only 12.75 inches wide, with a 13-inch screen.

3. High-end audio: NAD..? Get a McIntosh! :-)

4. See you tonight at trivia.

Aug 21, 2007, 12:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download Web Counters

Thanks for stopping by.



Email me - dean.rules@yahoo.com